National Heritage Gallery

240 Roberts Lane
Seymour, Tennessee 37865
To Order Please Call-865-579-0737

To view a more detailed image or additional images for each product click on any thumbnail below.

Cades Cove In Winter

This collection of 16 minutely detailed and sculpted miniatures are designed from exact measurements of the original buildings in the Cove. They are presented with the snow that almost always covered the Cove in the depth of winter.
Production is limited to only 3.500 of each. Every miniature is signed and numbered and comes with a history and certificate of authenticity.
All available miniatures are shown below. If you prefer, you may also view the items under the four descriptive categories by clicking on the one of choice.

All Categories : Cades Cove In Winter

Becky Cable House (Winter)
Our Price: $157.00

5 1/2"L X 6 3/4"W X 4"H

The Becky Cable House was probably the first frame structure in Cades Cove. Constructed by Leason Gregg in 1879. In 1887 it was sold to Aunt Becky, the unmarried daughter of John P. Cable and her brother Dan. A unique feature of the main chimney of the house was a seat built into its base. The seat became a popular place for young people to sit and "spark."

Blacksmith Shop (Winter)
Our Price: $52.00

3 3/4"L X 4 1/4"W X 3"H

The early settlers of Cades Cove were happy when in 1878, James McCaulley, blacksmith, settled in the Cove. Iron was an all-important commodity, and it was scarce. It was used and reused until it just plain wore out.

Cable Mill (Winter)
Our Price: $122.50

8"L X 5 1/2"W X 4 1/2"H

The first mill in the Cove using water power was built in the 1840s by Frederick Shields. The Cable Mill was built by John P. Cable in 1868. It was larger than Shield's mill and was used to grind corn, wheat and other grains. It was also used as a sawmill. John Cable used a log and lumber dam to hold the water from Forge and Mill creeks in a pond. The water leaves the pond through a water gate, runs through an earthen race into a wooden flume. The flume dumps it onto the water wheel to supply power to the mill.

Cantilever Barn (Winter)
Our Price: $112.00

7 3/4"L X 4 1/2"W X 4 1/2"H

Pioneers who settled south of the French Broad River in East Tennessee (present day Sevier and Blount counties) built barns with large overhangs on either end; they were known as cantilever barns. A cantilever is a beam or timber that projects outward from a base. In the 1800's, the settlers of Cades Cove were familiar with the many benefits of the Cantilevers and fashioned their barns after them. This architecture allows the use of large timbers, gave plenty of space for storage and kept the base of the building dry, providing shelter for animals and equipment.

Carter Shields Cabin (Winter)
Our Price: $79.50

4 1/2"L X 4 1/4"W X 3 1/4"H

Built in the 1880's, this cabin was home to many Cove families; the Sparks, the Olivers, the Anthonys and then Carter Shields in 1910. A 66 year old Union Army veteran, Shields farmed his land. In 1919 Shields sold the property to Bud Gregory who sold it to Wade Tipton in 1922. The property was then sold to the State of Tennessee and ultimately became part of the Smoky Mountains National Park.

Dan Lawson Place (Winter)
Our Price: $89.50

4"L X 6 7/8"W X 4 1/4"H

In 1850, Dan Lawson married Mary Jane Cable, Peter Cable's only daughter. After Peter's death in 1865, Dan took over the Cable farm and expanded it into one of the largest holdings in the Cove. Some people called this the Peter Cable Place and it is likely that the original Peter Cable cabin is part of the Dan Lawson Place, probably the first portion constructed. The brick chimney, an unusual sight in the Cove, was constructed of bricks made on the property. The finishing work on the inside of the house is some of the best in the Cove. The faces of the logs were hewn smooth with an adze and the ceiling joists were dressed and beaded with a plane - unusual detailing for the 1800's.

Elijah Oliver Corncrib (Winter)
Our Price: $39.95

4 3/4"L X 2 1/4"W X 2 1/4"H

Perhaps the corn crib represents the greatest Indian legacy to the pioneers. "Indian Maize," or corn, was the most essential of all their crops. The cribs were usually long and narrow, filled to capacity with corn on the cob and in the shuck. The small front door was used to take the corn out of the crib as needed in the winter.

Elijah Oliver Place (Winter)
Our Price: $112.00

8"L X 4"W X 4"H

The original Elijah Oliver cabin was enlarged when Elijah purchased a cabin from the Herron family and attached it to their home. This provided a separate room for a kitchen and created a "split-level" home, maybe a first in the 1880's. The space between the levels was called a dog trot. Steps led down from the main part of the house into the kitchen.

Hamp Tipton Place (Winter)
Our Price: $105.00

6 1/4"L X 4 1/2"W X 4 1/2"H

The Hamp Tipton house was built a few years after the Civil War by Col J.W. "Hamp" Tipton. In 1878, James McCaulley, a blacksmith, occupied the house. His blacksmith shop and the buggy shed/corn crib and cantilever barn were all built in the immediate vicinity. Although the Tipton cabin is now covered with clapboard, the main body of the structure was log and our miniature is reproduced in the original material.

Henry Whitehead Cabin (Winter)
Our Price: $112.50

7 3/4"L X 4 1/2"W X 4 1/2"H

Two separate cabins make up the Henry Whitehead place. The smaller of the cabins was built around 1887 and hurriedly constructed of rough-hewn logs with jagged ends and a rubble stone chimney. By contrast, the larger cabin, built in 1898 was constructed of logs sawed square at a nearby sawmill, fit tightly together so little chinking was necessary. On the inside, most of the logs were hand planed. The outside wall toward the prevailing wind was weatherboarded to keep out the wind and preserve the chinking. There was a rare brick chimney, made of bricks molded and fired right on the Whitehead land.

  Page 1 of 2NEXT >>



Copyright 2006, National Heritage
Produced by 1st Internet Resources